Sunday, August 14, 2011

Crafting and storage!

Ok, this is not the promised Milly update, but I wanted to share some crafting, as it's been about 6 months since I did any other than crocheting.  So, here it is!

When you live in a 6m x 9m shed with your partner, a toddler and a baby on the way you have to get clever with storage.  I am always thinking of new ways to store things so that it doesn't look too messy and disorganised.  I've found that loose things on a shelf make the place feel cluttered so I've been buying baskets to put on the shelves.  This is working, but I thought I could do it in a more budget friendly way and decided to have a go at covering some of the many nappy boxes (I haven't got back into the cloth ones since we moved up here) I have waiting to be burnt with fabric and use them instead.
This is where our appliance cables/leads/junk is currently stored (still hasn't been unpacked since we moved as we had nowhere to put it anyway.

This is what I did with the nappy box.
First I cut the flaps off the box using Daddy's leatherman. (Swollen hands due to being 38 weeks pregnant)




Then I put the fabric wrong side up on a flat surface and measured out a cross shape, leaving about an extra 2-3cm to go over the top of the box.

Next, I centred the box on the piece of fabric. I did this outside on the grubby concrete so I didn't use a drop cloth or anything, but it's probably a good idea if using spray adhesive). I sprayed the two long sides of the box AND the fabric (because this is what the can of glue said to do) and waited about a minute before sticking the fabric to the box.


Then I did the same with the short sides and just folded the excess to make a flap and glued it down.



The finished box.



Overall, I think it looks great. From a distance! I have no patience and like to get things done in a hurry so it's certainly not perfect.  All I can say is, it's a good thing I used a dark fabric that hides wrinkles and silly mistakes and I learnt a few things for next time. From start to finish it took me about 15 minutes (plus another 15 to untangle all the leads and put them in their new home!  Our cables are still in a mess, but at least they're in a pretty box now!

2 comments:

  1. Oh Teegan! All of those nappy boxes that I've thrown out! I can't believe I've never thought to actually use them for something. (Other than letting Elliott climb all over them.)
    This looks like a rather nifty idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Covering boxes with fabric!!! Brilliant!! Thank you for the inspiration :-) By the way it was great seeing you the other day :-)

    ReplyDelete